Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Hackers to Destroy Facebook!

Today I read an article and watched a YouTube video form the group who is telling all that they will destroy Facebook on November 5th 2011. I really don't know what to call it other than strange. A group's hatred towards a social media is a little absurd and unneeded. The claim that Facebook is holding all this very private information and will always keep it or even sell it to a government agency even after your profile and account is deleted is not a reason to "destroy." The beauty about social media is the user's free will to choose. No one has ever been forced to create a Facebook account. No one puts a gun to your head or threatens your life to set up an account. If you are willing to have your private information on their network then you are responsible to understand what that could mean for your information in the future.

If any social media is selling information to different governments I do agree that it is a problem that should be solved. However, If you are not doing anything that would be considered bad or illegal then who cares? I would find it hard to believe that someone or some agency could steal my identity with one of my old pictures from college. I doubt any foreign country looking to harm me or the country I live in would find my interest in technology, my favorite music, my favorite foods, or where I graduated from college useful in any way.

Overall, if you have not seen the video or read up on any newscasts or articles on this please do. If the group making threats towards Facebook or any other social media sees how many people think this is ridiculous then maybe we can put all this nonsense behind us. On a side note, I think it would be really funny if there was a group on Facebook that liked the "Hacktivist" group making threats.

http://www.businessinsider.com/anonymous-facebook-2011-8

3 comments:

  1. Facebook is the anti-christ and will destroy the universe once it becomes self-aware.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous,

    I can understand and appreciate your concerns for our world's wellbeing in regards to social media security and in this case Facebook. However, with a group such as yours I believe it would be in the best interest of the world to focus your efforts on creation, not destruction. I think Anton Chekhov said it best; "Man has been endowed with reason, with the power to create, so that he can add to what he's been given." [Uncle Vanya, 1897]. No I realize it is easier to continue your path with the belief that what you are doing has an element of "genius." To that please remember this; "Genius might be described as a supreme capacity for getting its possessors into trouble of all kinds." (Samuel Butler)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be interested in the technical background of the attack.

    ReplyDelete